The Detroit Red Wings are one of the most consistent franchises in all of sports. The franchise has made the playoffs 23 years in a row and in 28 of the past 30 seasons. The team was founded in 1926, and is one of the oldest NHL teams based in the U.S. The Red Wings have won 19 division titles, six conference titles and 11 Stanley Cups, which makes the franchise one of the winningest teams in all of the major sports.
Despite such success, the franchise has also experienced low-points. Between 1967 and 1991, the Red Wings made the playoffs just eight times in 25 years, which was a stark contrast from the period between 1934 and 1966 where they missed the playoffs just four times. During the successful 32-year stretch, the Red Wings won seven Stanley Cups and were consistently among the premier franchises in the NHL.
In 1997, after a 42-year Stanley Cup drought the Red Wings returned to the top of the NHL behind the play of goaltender Mike Vernon and star Igor Larionov. The great core of players led the Red Wings to a Stanley Cup victory over the Philadelphia Flyers, where Vernon earned the Conn Smythe Trophy as the MVP of the playoffs.
The Red Wings successfully repeated as champions the next season after defeating the Washington Capitals in the Stanley Cup Finals. The following season proved to be too much to handle for the Red Wings and their quest to win a third consecutive championship fell short when they lost to the Colorado Avalanche in the Western Conference Semifinals.
After stumbling for a couple of seasons, the Red Wings recaptured the title after an epic run through the 2002 season. Detroit won the most games during the regular season and eventually took down the Carolina Hurricanes in five games to recapture the Stanley Cup. This postseason run marked a huge highlight in the career of Nicklas Lidstrom, who won the Conn Smythe Trophy as the MVP of the playoffs.
The Red Wings entered the 2007-2008 season as perennial championship contenders. They cruised through the season and into the playoffs. Detroit beat the Pittsburgh Penguins in the Finals after Henrik Zetterberg scored the game-winning goal in the deciding game – his play throughout the playoffs earned him the Conn Smythe Trophy. This victory also marked the first time that a team captained by a non-American won the Stanley Cup as superstar Nicklas Lidstrom guided the team throughout the season.
The Red Wings have consistently been one of the most successful franchises in all of hockey, period. All across the U.S. and the world, fans proudly wear their Red Wings gear. After suffering through a 42-year Stanley Cup drought, Detroit has consistently made playoff appearances and reestablished themselves as a perennial championship contender and that’s why investing in Red Wings memorabilia is such an easy decision. With a list of legendary players like Ted Lindsay, Steve Yzerman, Nicklas Lidstrom and Henrik Zetterberg there isn’t a shortage of available classic Red Wings memorabilia. Any piece of Red Wings memorabilia would be a great addition to any NHL or sports collection considering the franchises storied history and ability to produce some of the greatest players in the game’s history.
- Henrik Zetterberg Signed Pucks: Henrik Zetterberg is one of the more decorated players in the NHL. Zetterberg won the Stanley Cup in 2008 with the Detroit Red Wings while also winning the Conn Smythe Trophy as the MVP of the 2008 playoffs. Zetterberg is also a two-time gold medalist after his teams took the top honors in the 2006 Ice Hockey World Championships and ’06 Winter Olympics making Henrik Zetterberg memorabilia very valuable. Since Zetterberg is one of the best scorers in the NHL today, fans and collectors should look to invest in a Henrik Zetterberg signed hockey puck considering his autograph is consistently rising in value. With a Henrik Zetterberg autographed puck, fans and collectors can add a very unique collectible to their collection while showing their Red Wings pride.
- Autographed Nicklas Lidstrom Jerseys: Nicklas Lidstrom is a legendary player who played his entire 20-year NHL career with the Detroit Red Wings. Lidstrom won four Stanley Cups during his lengthy and successful career while winning the James Norris Memorial Trophy, awarded to the best defensive player in the NHL, seven times. Die-hard Detroit fans should look to honor the legacy of one of the greatest defenseman in NHL history with a signed Nicklas Lidstrom jersey. With a Nicklas Lidstrom autographed jersey, fans and collectors will gain a centerpiece for their collection that celebrates a historic legend of the game and holds ever-increasing value. Featuring the official Detroit colors and design, Red Wings jerseys with a Nicklas Lidstrom autograph are an absolute must-have for fans and a solid investment for collectors.
- Steve Yzerman Signed Photos: A member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Steve Yzerman played his entire career with the illustrious Detroit Red Wings. An extremely popular athlete within Detroit, Yzerman was named captain of the Red Wings at the age of 21 and continued to serve as the leader of the team for the next two decades. Yzerman led the Red Wings to three Stanley Cup wins during his career while providing fans with countless memories. As a Red Wings fan, you can preserve the franchise icon’s legacy by adding a signed Steve Yzerman photo to your sports room or collection. An autographed Steve Yzerman photo is the ideal addition to any Red Wings memorabilia collection because it captures the Detroit star in his greatest career moments, from dominating the ice to hoisting the Stanley Cup.
- Pavel Datsyuk Autographed Jerseys: A two-time Stanley Cup winner, Pavel Datsyuk has reached the mecca of the hockey world while playing for the Detroit Red Wings. Pavel, one of the more talented and experienced players in the league, has played for the Red Wings throughout his entire NHL career. One of his best seasons ever coincided with the Red Wings’ run to the Stanley Cup in 2008. During the year, Datsyuk scored 31 goals while dishing out 66 assists and recording 97 total points, which earned him a trip to the NHL All-Star Game. With a signed Pavel Datsyuk jersey, fans and collectors can add a great piece of history to their hockey collection while showing support for the storied Red Wings franchise.
- Ted Lindsay Memorabilia: Ted Lindsay is a Hockey Hall of Famer who played the majority of his iconic career with the Detroit Red Wings. Lindsay won four Stanley Cups, scored over 800 points and won the Art Ross Trophy throughout his career. Lindsay will forever be glorified in the eyes of Detroit Red Wings fans across the nation. His dedication and success with the team propelled him to heights rarely reached by hockey players. A piece of Ted Lindsay memorabilia is the perfect way for hockey fans to preserve NHL history while adding serious value to their collection. All items with a Ted Lindsay autograph are sure to continue to acquire value over the years die to his memorable place within the sport and make a great investment for anyone.